"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 26, 2003

Space-Based Programming

Another Java article from OnJava about space-based programming. Unfortunately the language-independent, SOAP-based Ruple project from Rogue Wave is defunct.

Observing relational database development and object database development way up close for about 20 years, I'd say space-based programming is a simpler, more effective model for 25-75% of the situations where a relational database, object database, or message bus applied. (Yes, that's a pretty wide percentage, but I'm hedging my bets since it is not based on any real statistics. Even 25% of these sitations is a *large* number representing a good deal of time and money.)

Space-based designs are applicable to "application-specific storage", many "workflow" and "web services choreography" situations, many "EAI" or "message-based" situations.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.