"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Kill Java

Some people apparently want to kill Java. Hey, I am not entirely against that idea, but it should be deliberate.

In this case, some people want to continue adding to Java until it becomes nothing by trying to be everything. Java is essentially what it will be. Yeah, generics, closures, etc. are arguably helping or hurting depending on the situation... that's not what I am talking about. Read on from Paul Browne...

Now that you have Java in your open source toy bag, can I have Duck Typing please?
Yeah, right. Do you understand either Java or duck typing?
P.S. I still want to keep compile time type checking to make sure I don’t make any mistakes.
OK. Apparently not.

Here you go: if you want Java and duck typing, use Jython or JRuby or Rhino/Javascript or...

Do not add duck typing to Java. Ever. Period. End of sentence.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.