"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 23, 2003

Roots of Web Services

From Infoworld's Web Services Report...

This declarative approach is the real essence of SOA, and of course it's not a new idea. I trace its lineage to MTS (Microsoft Transaction Server), which begat COM+ and J2EE. All these middleware technologies pull services (e.g., transaction management, connection pooling) out of components, and weave them into to the fabric in which the components are deployed.

We can (and should) go even 30 years back to discover some deeper roots of Web Services that run through but do not originate with MTS...

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.