"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 13, 2003

EJB and CORBA

From Jon Udell's item on J2EE/EJB...

You need your business logic available to multiple applications. What if those other applications aren't Java-based?

EJB is designed for CORBA clients.

The problems include, though, firewalls and interop. Unfortunately just as CORBA was rounding third and heading toward home on those issues as well as the price/performance issue, SOAP became a monkeywrench. Too bad really that CORBA could not have been the foundation of an "Enterprise SOAP" that evolved toward some of the flavor of XML messaging.

Also, CORBA 3.0 incorporates its own "Component Model", an improved EJB model that is language neutral. Maybe too little, too late.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.