"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 20, 2004

Smalltalk about the enterprise

Roy Osherove is asking about Smalltalk in the enterprise. Gemstone Smalltalk was the first object-oriented application server to my knowledge. The core architecture has been in development for about 20 years. The systems developed include manufacturing floor, billing, banking, insurance, shipping, and logistics applications.

There are a surprising number of new web applications running Gemstone Smalltalk too. I would probably choose Cincom's VisualWorks over Gemstone today since it now has a lot of server capabilities, better web tools and objects, as well as better product support.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.