"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Saturday, March 20, 2004

Why American Computer Science seems incurable

Update: Related or coincidence?

Edsger W. Dijkstra with his typical insight and phrasing (he is missed)...

For the sake of the stability of the enterprise, the ideal of its manager is an organization that is as independent as possible of specific abilities of individual employees. The predominance of this ideal is a well-documented, international phenomenon; the ideal itself predates the high-technology industry, in which it could very well be inappropriate, and has discouraged the industrial eployment of scientists, in particular of the brilliant and original ones.

The American situation is aggrevated by a total lack of faith in its educational system and a deep-rooted mistrust of intellectuals...

Accordingly, prevailling industrial attitude exerts a strong pressure on the University not to indulge in such hobbies as scientific education, but to confine itself to vocational training of some sort or another.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.