"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 27, 2004

The Why of XML

James Robertson writes about XML's ubiquity and yet lameness as a notation for configuration.

On the other hand "ini" files are equally lame, being too simplistic. And so we have a simple yet more expressive alternative in YAML which serves as a reasonable data notation that is printable, efficient, readable, streamable, maps well to popular dynamic languages, and so on... several things that XML is not.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.