"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

More on the Future of Multiprocessing

ACM Queue has good explanations of where hardware is going and how to scale software into the multiprocessing era.

The introduction of CMP systems represents a significant opportunity to scale systems in a new dimension. The most significant impact of CMP systems is that the degree of scaling is being increased by an order of magnitude: what was a low-end one- to two-processor entry-level system should now be viewed as a 16- to 32-way system, and soon even midrange systems will be scaling to several hundred ways.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.