"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

A Bag on the Side of the Eclipse

I was recently reminded of a favorite book: Tracy Kidder's "The Soul of a New Machine". I went to Data General developing CAD software and met some of these guys a couple years after the book was published.

A couple of phrases stick out... Tom West saying, "Not everything worth doing is worth doing well." and building exactly what Ed deCastro said he did not want, "a bag on the side of the Eclipse".

This is a bag on the side of my blog. I have not been around a computer much outside of work lately. Hopefully over the holidays I will get back to finding out what this AJAX thingy is.

I am currently engrossed in another book though, "Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West". As John Updike is quoted on the cover, it is an "amazing novel". It reminds me of Marion Zimmer Bradley's "The Mysts of Avalon" in its imaginative telling of a new story about an old story. Both books creatively incorporate real issues about society, culture, religion, and politics.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.