"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion

Tim Bray has an item on the anniversary of the Tiananmen Square massacre.

The book Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion explains how the Chinese government used subtle and simple techniques to help the population conform following the massacre. Those same techniques, according to the book, were used by the Chinese on prisoners of war during the Korean War.

The book is a really good one. When I mentioned some aspects that lend themselves to agile development, someone on the XP mailing list responded the book is his favorite from the last ten years. High praise, but I can see why.

The information is of practical use every day in this market-driven and political society. With many less dramatic, but more commonplace, stories I can't imagine most people not recognizing situations from their own lives.

I think the book should be required reading for high school students. May as well go into life somewhat prepared for the onslaught.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.