"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

DSL: Better than you think

Phil Windley writes about creating a domain-specific language...

I'm a big believer in notation. Using the right notation to describe and think about a problem is a powerful tool--one that we're too eager to give up it seems. People seem to believe that (a) all languages are pretty much the same and (b) the world has enough notations. While (a) is true in theory (they're all Turing complete, after all) the power of a notation isn't in what it can accomplish, but the ways in which it allows you to think. I'll deal with (b) in what follows.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.