"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Platform Wars

Here's what I like about this new era of cloud computing: rather than the useless language wars of the old era (i.e. sun/java vs. msft/java-ish), we are now heading toward platform wars. Amazon will add some of the "full stackness" of Google's, and Google will expand as well. And these battles are aimed at adding real value.

Microsoft, Yahoo, whoever else, will have to off similar capabilities, and new advantages. And they all have to appeal to several "stacks". Dotnet won't do it, at least not solely. Java won't either.

The stack starts lower than the virtual machine, just like in the old days. Only funner.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.