"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Chris Buckley Loses Job

From the Christian Science Monitor...

"Buckley, the son of famed conservative icon William F. Buckley Jr.,
this week lost his job as a columnist at the National Review, the
magazine his father started, over a blog he posted on the Daily Beast
endorsing Barack Obama.

(The blog's title: "Sorry, Dad, I'm Voting for Obama.)

Buckley offered to resign when, as he put it, "It became clear that
National Review had a serious problem on its hands." The magazine
accepted his resignation.

Today, in a followup post on the Daily Beast, Buckley says his
original post has prompted a "tsunami" of response.

Response at the Daily Beast has been running 7-to-1 in favor of his
post, says Buckley. But at the National Review Online, according to
Buckley, "That's been running about, oh, 700-to-1 against.".

"In fact," he adds, "the only thing the Right can't quite decide is
whether I should be boiled in oil or just put up against the wall and
shot. Lethal injection would be too painless."

Yet despite the charges of patricide being hurled at Buckley
(literally), he points out that, "My father in his day endorsed a
number of liberal Democrats for high office, including Allard K.
Lowenstein and Joe Lieberman. One of his closest friends on earth was
John Kenneth Galbraith…. He liked to mix it up.""

http://features.csmonitor.com/books/2008/10/16/christopher-buckley-and-the-oddities-of-truth/

Are politics in the US divided forever?

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.