"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Apollo Workstations: Programming Interprocess Communication

This was sitting in a tab in Safari. I don't remember how it got there. It is a pdf of an Apollo document from 1985. Maybe it was from reading Steve Vinoski's latest RPC, etc. stuff - Steve worked at Apollo.

Maybe you're interested in reading it, maybe not. Apollo workstations were the first true "the network is the computer" computer, predating SunOS. I used them at Boeing and at Mentor Graphics in the 80's and 90's.

The CAD tools I worked on at Mentor Graphics used mailboxes to communicate between components, e.g. back end simulation engines and front end graphics. Note that Pascal is the systems programming language for Apollo.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.