"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 30, 2003

Post-modern Programming 100 Years from Now?

Phil Windley now has a great quote from Paul Graham's "The Hundred Year Language"... (The permalink to the message is broken for April 30 at this point.)

[Paul] Object-oriented programming offers a sustainable way to write spaghetti code. It lets you accrete programs as a series of patches. Large organizations always tend to develop software this way, and I expect this to be as true in a hundred years as it is today.

[Phil] The phrase accrete programs as a series of patches is so deliciously visual that it makes me smile.

So many juicy bits in Paul's keynote. I guess that's what makes a good keynote.

Since Phil will be sending some traffic my way, this is a chance to redirect you to a piece from OOPSLA 2002 related to the above quote...

Noble and Biddle's Notes on Postmodern Programming.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.