"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Thursday, October 23, 2003

Rob Pike's Things to Build

From Rob Pike (Bell Labs/Plan9, now at Google)... Things to Build (in Systems Software Research is Irrelevant (PDF), or in Postscript format):

  • Only one GUI has ever been seriously tried, and its best ideas date from the 1970s...
  • There has been much talk about component architectures, but only one true success: Unix pipes...
  • The future is distributed computation, but the language community has done very little...
  • The Web model... is forced interaction; the user must go get it. Let's go back to having the data come to the user instead.
  • System administration remains a deeply difficult problem...
Obvious connections to recent conversations about rich GUIs, and mobilized software, etc. I think he hits several nails square on the head.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.