"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Monday, May 28, 2007

Design & Test

People like Tim Bray and Fuzzy are speaking out in favor of a Rest specification language. I've not tried it, and barely read about it, so I won't comment on it.

I will say this though... specifications are good, especially if they are simple and simple tools can support them.

I hope this specification and especially these tools don't get too elaborate though. Tools are often used to hide complexity and prevent developers from really understanding and improving their designs.

Even more, though, is this: I like examples at least as much as I like specifications. Specs make understanding complete. Examples (such as out-of-the-box executable test suites) make understanding practical.

So specify your service all you want -- but please give me a suite of tests as well.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.