"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

CouchDB Finds a Home

Damien Katz is going to IBM to work on CouchDB full time. CouchDB is now intended to become an Apache project.

That's a great development. Good for IBM picking it up, too.

Not knowing CouchDB too deeply, but the basic gist of it, I wonder how well the approach would translate into a cloud-based system, not too unlike Simple DB?

The database world is suddenly (to me at least) looking significantly different than even a year ago, given CouchDB, Simple DB, and the research at MIT on C-Store, H-Store, etc.

Last year at this time my co-workers and I were diving into a serious look at Jini/Javaspaces for some intra-data-center messaging and persistence needs. The community was what we decided was the biggest lack, but the complexity was high on the list, and the Java-centric nature was ok, but not... (alright Jini community... I know it can be used with/from other non-Java systems...)

Given systems like those above, I wonder which direction we would have favored back then.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.