"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Intuit's Flex-able Cloud

Catchy title, eh?

Bob Warfield has some interesting "pre-news" about a new cloud
computing platform...

http://smoothspan.wordpress.com/2008/04/16/intuits-radical-new-flex-quickbase-cloud-platform/

"Someone mentioned that the standard for Cloud Platforms was to bring
up an app that everyone in the audience can log into within 5 minutes
or less. No problems here. We had the good old "Hello, World" up and
running very quickly."

But he wonders about Microsoft's cloudiness (cloudlessness?)...

""
Doesn't the Big M have SQL Server Data Services:
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/dataservices/default.mspx

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can we view SQL Data Services as a platform, or just a set of API's? What makes a platform?

Is a POP/SMTP mail server a platform? It has API's, a data store, yada, yada, not entirely unlike SQL Data Services.

If SQL Data Services is the shot Microsoft wants evaluated against the Amazons, Googles, and Intuits, that's their business. I haven't heard them pushing it as such, and I wouldn't want that comparison if I were them, so I'm reserving judgement and assuming they have something really great that is imminently going to be flogged out the door.

Cheers!

BW

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.