"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Monday, June 09, 2008

Mornin'

Back in the 70s Jimmy Carter put a solar water heater on the roof of the White House, mostly as a symbol for a new direction of conservation and energy independence. Reagan promptly tore it down as a symbol of, well, he ran on the notion of bringing us "Morning in America", implying we have no reason to feel bad: we should feel "good" again.

We're Americans. We should not have bad news, and we should not "sacrifice" anything, well, at least not any comforts. Besides that the energy industry hated the idea of conservation and energy independence.

Carter also set the objective that America not become more dependent on foreign oil than we were at that time, 30 years ago now. Reagan convinced us we didn't need a pessimist like that.

Mornin'.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.