"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Saturday, April 03, 2004

"Modal" or "Continuation-based"?

I vote for "continuation-based", I hope I'm not too late. You don't know how long I've been waiting for continuations to have their due.

I understand the rationale for "modal". The name just loses some of its sex appeal. Maybe it loses some of its mystery, and maybe that's a good thing.

For the sake of the technique in web server implementation, the value of "modal" is to point out even less expressive languages can be used.

I'd personally rather see those more complex implementations be accompanied by an apology along with a nod to the simpler and more expressive (and longer lived, Smalltalk (early history) and Lisp (Evolution of Lisp, scroll down to the essay)) languages that enabled the discovery in the first place.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.