"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Thursday, May 06, 2004

On Directories and Databases

A report from Microsoft on Active Directory vs. "Databases" (my quotations).

Kind of shocking that Microsoft claims their database technology is not good for searching or reading data! (Unfortunately this I believe to be generally true about *most* so called "relational" database technology. Most R&D dollars *have* been put into making them writable as opposed to searchable!)

Also pointed out, and I believe true generally, is that database technology is not very good at replication or distribution! (With either loose or strict consistency.)

Aside --- so what does this predict for WinFS? Either WinFS will suck as bad as today's databases or SQL Server will benefit from all the improvements driven by WinFS.

And in a related note from Gregor Holpe on integration styles...

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.