"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Thursday, January 20, 2005

Guessing from the Terminal

Mountains of wisdom from the Mountain of Worthless Information...

Next time you're in a meeting with folks and somebody asks you how long you think it'll take, be sure to tell them whether this is a "from the terminal" sort of guess, or a "from the ground" sort of guess. The difference? Until you've been-there-done-that, and have something against which to measure their requests (meaning you have some kind of experience with the things in question, ideally having built something like it before), your estimates are likely to be all "from the terminal" guesses, and highly likely to be wildly off base.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.