"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Monday, March 28, 2005

Agile Data

Keith Ray writes about agile data...

He asked audience members to raise their hands if they could make a simple change (like renaming a column of a table) and re-deploy their database and associated apps in the same day. Only one guy, in a large room filled with database people, raised his hand (I bet that guy worked at Yahoo, Amazon, or Google.) That guy's DB had terabytes of data and 37 apps depending on it, but he could deploy a change in less than one day.

Ambler also asked audience members to raise their hands if their database and associated apps had extensive automated testing. The same guy raised his hand, and maybe one other.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.