"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Sunday, March 27, 2005

Boo and IronPython

Edd Dumbill tried IronPython and now prefers Boo. Another Python friend was thinking of trying Boo too. The problem I have with that is I'd rather the bulk of my code not be tied to a specific platform, which Boo seems to do. Boo runs on MSFT dotnet as well as Mono, but still requires the CLR platform.

Edd raises significant concerns about IronPython. Rather than a somewhat handcuffed Boo, I would think a Python programmer would be very well off with regular CPython and bridging to dotnet via the Python.Net dll's.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How exactly is boo "handcuffed"? That's a better description of python than boo.

But yes, I agree, if you want to stick with regular "handcuffed" python, then using the CLR bridge is the best option because IronPython is still very early alpha quality. There is a similar bridge for ruby, too.

But a great deal more users of both python and ruby would prefer a way to create fully managed applications, not something that is slower and requires installing two standard libraries instead of one.

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.