"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Thursday, February 23, 2006

If it keeps on raining...

The levee is going to break. Steve Loughran contributes more to the discussion I was hoping to see. I would like to see some constructive counter-arguments. Where are they?

Let it not be said that I critique SOAP/WSDL and the like for ideological grounds. I critique it because I have to use it, and it sucks...

One of the key features is that its easy to debug HTTP problems: point a web page at the same URL, and see what you get back. Work with SOAP, and you are doing tracelogs...

We cannot reliably send an xsd:dateTime between two endpoints on the same machine without its timezone getting confused, attachments are something you need to negotiate on, and nobody even understands why xsd:nil actually exists, since its a way of declaring inline "I choose to break this bits of the public schema, get over it"...

In REST-land, few people work with XSD, even less try to seamlessly map from the schema to native types, and nobody expects the runtime to infer a REST state model from implementation classes. Yet despite the lack of all this integration, REST appears to work better...

Just as Hibernate killed EJB-classic, so can lightweight protocols kill WS-*...

Use XMPP as the back channel. Not WS-Eventing, or WS-Notification. Or let people poll. It actually works quite well when the number of polling clients is very low, as it probably is for most communications between two nodes, and it works around the whole firewall problem...

...kill WS-Addressing. WS-A is the recurring bane of my life. People ask me why, and I have to point them at code that tries to move data to and from the various versions of wsa:epr on the wire. URLs, that's all you should need. If you want async two-way comms, then give a URL for responses; an xmpp: one for xmpp responses...

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.