Government documents (PDF) released under the Freedom of Information Act disclose that on March 13, 1962, the Joint Chiefs of Staff of the United States proposed the following, and other deceptions, to justify a U.S. invasion of Cuba...
- staging the assassinations of Cubans living in the United States
- developing a fake "Communist Cuban terror campaign in the Miami area, in other Florida cities and even in Washington"
- "sink[ing] a boatload of Cuban refugees (real or simulated)"
- faking a Cuban airforce attack on a civilian jetliner
- blowing up a U.S. ship in Cuban waters and then blaming the incident on Cuban sabotage
Fortunately we had a president in 1962 who could read, ask questions, comprehend, take a position, and stand up to the generals. What would have happened if we did not have Kenedy in office? What could happen next time if we had a president who were aloof and disengaged?