"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Friday, February 11, 2005

Objects and Processes

Ian Bicking on objects and processes (when processes are done right)...

That's when I thought about Erlang. Instead of objects, Erland has processes, and you send messages between processes. It seems obvious, but when I'd looked at Erlang before the parallel hadn't occurred to me. In that light Erlang processes make much more sense to me.
Something about Erlang design... if you need state, like an "object" would, then put it in its own process. Asynchronous messages to update the state and return state information. Like many small "databases" on the order of a table or so running in their own process.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.