"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Not To Mention

An underlying, unintentional, yet pervasive message at OSCON this year is this: while the web server is a proven platform for building applications, the web *browser* is a horrible platform for building applications. Browsers have a tough row to hoe to get where they need to be. The huge advantage they have is cultural: programming applications by default are assumed to be best done on a browser, especially "cross browser", no matter what pain is involved.

Please don't hurt the web! Use a productive client.

Two things are going to push browsers (maybe kicking and screaming) into the 21st century web: Flex, (which *is* open and so could show up in Firefox someday) and AtomPub.

The combination of those could be significant.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.