"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Sunday, June 15, 2003

Microsoft and RSS?

Steve Gillmor on Microsoft and RSS.

Interesting ideas. But what is interesting about RSS? What is interesting about any protocol?

Maybe it's just that developers are using RSS and Microsoft likes developers. The protocol itself is nothing special, but that in itself is its advantage... witness the number of applications that implement it. It was designed by developers.

So simple protocols are good. Has RSS been through the scalability ringer yet? Does it matter? Another protocol will come along soon if necessary. The interesting questions are what to do with the protocol. That's what Steve Gillmor is getting at, perhaps.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.