"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 12, 2003

GCJ to save Java?

A friend of mine, prominent in the patterns community, told me when the Design Patterns book came out he believed that book would extend the future of C++ by a decade. He may have been right. (Since then other factors such as Boost have had a big influence as well.)

I am here today to make a prediction myself.

I believe that the GCJ compiler for Java will have a substantial influence on that language's future, maybe extending Java's future by a decade. This compiler will itself boost Java on the server, and in conjunction with Eclipse/SWT revitalize Java as a key language for desktop applications.

Moreover a secondary effect will eventually be to influence Microsoft's dotnet approach.

GCJ is a presage of the end of the virtual machine.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.