"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Sunday, February 01, 2004

Risk Analysis and Decision Making

Ted Neward attended a talk on risk analysis and decision making. This is the gem for technology facing (and technology fascinated) developers. Heed...

Cost-benefit analysis is a skill, not an arcane art, and more technical leads and architects need to spend more time working on it. But we don't, because it's not NEARLY as cool as working with the latest O/R mapping layer or tool, despite the fact that using the latest O/R mapping layer or tool in of itself represents a risk that should be carefully examined using a cost/benefit analysis.

If only we got as excited about adding 25 points of business value to a system.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.