"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Monday, March 01, 2004

Is this your government?

Les AuCoin (Oregon's 1st District in Congress for 18 years)...

If this isn't Eden, Eden is just around the corner.

The area is special enough that even Oregon's fractious congressional delegation decided it required protection...

Sadly, this story is part of a broader pattern in which the Bush administration isn't just contracting out sensitive environmental work to dubious corporations. It is also stocking the leadership of federal regulatory agencies with corporate figures who previously made a living doing combat with those same agencies.

Thus, Mark Rey, the former chief lobbyist of the American Forest and Paper Association, supervises the Forest Service.

The spokesman for the Department of Agriculture on mad cow disease was hired from the National Cattlemen's Association, and the chief legal adviser for the administration's salmon recovery plan in the Northwest is Mark Rutzick, a man who built his career fighting for the timber industry against the endangered Northwest spotted owl.

But they say this is your government.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.