"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 26, 2004

The problem with Share Point (and most "portals")

I love the way I can shape a Wiki to provide a "narrative" that is still a "web".

Why does Share Point (and portals in general from what I have seen) provide a sterile, partitioned, austere "user interface" experience?

Clearly the best of the web is based on self-navigable "narratives". Maybe there is a way to do this in Share Point, if I had the time to discover more about it.

If there is, this should certainly be the default behavior.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Because implementing a Wiki is so simple there's no way to monitize it?
-Adam V.

Patrick Logan said...

I think there is something to the "monetizing" argument.

I think it also comes from the customer side... I continue to see a lot of behavior in large enterprises that seems to believe anything of *value* (not just cost, mind you) should by definition be big, complicated, and even cumbersome.

Really. I think the portal vendors, like other kinds of vendors, are just capitalizing on these behaviors. "Selling" something as simple as a Wiki, or even as simple as Smalltalk, is *more* difficult than selling the more complicated and costly approximations.

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.