"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Multi-multi-core

The future of concurrent computing...

Come 2010, expect to see chips containing ten or more processing cores, he added.
-Paul Otellini at the Intel Developer Forum
The key to building future systems more easily is in languages for making concurrent programming as easy as object-oriented programming has made sequential programming. Objects (and higher-order functions, etc.) make the organization of names and sequential statements more manageable. Good concurrency models make the organization of space and time more manageable.

A programming language's concurrency model will have to support programmers conceptualizing tens and hundreds of thousands of processes the way languages today support programmers conceptualizing object models of tens and hundreds of thousands of objects.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.