"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Next Move in Programming

Dave Thomas (the Smalltalk Dave Thomas) writes in JOT...

We need to move beyond the complexity, limitations and weaknesses of Smalltalk and Lisp but seek a language with at least as simple a syntax and more expressiveness.
Here's a programming leader who knows his stuff and I love the fact that he refers to Smalltalk and Lisp as being complex, and having limitations and weaknesses. These are not the be-all and end-all even though they are better than anything that's come along since their invention 35-45 years ago. Noodle on that: 35-45 years without a significant leap forward in programming languages.

Maybe we'll go another 100 years without that improvement. Maybe that is to be expected.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.