"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Thursday, October 12, 2006

APEX?

APEX == A Programming language EXclusively for who?

I must be missing something. Why on earth would anyone invest their information systems in a proprietary hosted language?

Please clue me in. And why is this guy doing the seig heil? 8^)

From zdnet...

Mark Gorenberg... hailed Apex as the most significant announcement since Sybase announced stored procedures.
Really. I am flabbergasted.

1 comment:

mtraven said...

Companies are already willing to entrust their sales data to salesforce.com's hosted platform. That's a hell of a lot more valuable to companies than code, so it's not that big a leap. They analogize to to PL/SQL, and that's about right -- that's proprietary too, and people use it because it allows them to run code close to their data.

But I don't know why they felt they needed to write a whole new language rather than implement an existing one.

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.