"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Dynamic DST

A fairly good indication of software brittleness reared up today in the US, and anywhere else time is computed for the US. Most software has some fairly hard-coded time zone mechanism that never anticipated the federal government's regulation moving Daylight Savings Time this year. Most systems that were upgradable required more manual labor than they should have.

How many other assumptions are baked in that would benefit from a more dynamically loaded aproach?

We want our pieces to be small and loosely joined, but by and large they are far from it. Moving in that direction is not easy. There is so much we have not even considered yet.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.