"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Erlang at History of Programming Languages III

Here is the PDF from Joe Armstrong's talk (n.b. it's a PDF) at the recent ACM History of Programming Languages III event.

What is Erlang?

  • Concurrent (processes belong to Language – NOT OS)
  • Very light-weight concurrency (lighter than threads)
  • “Share nothing” process semantics
  • Pure asynchronous message passing
  • Core language is a simple dynamically typed FPL
  • Non-pure extensions (ets) for implementing databases.
  • Mechanisms for in-service code upgrade
  • Large set of libraries (OTP)(Unix <-> C <==> OTP <-> Erlang)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

And that's why Erlang is such a fantastic tool. I really mean tool as a "useful thing you can actually build things upon" :)

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.