"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Pushy And Stuff

Dan Creswell has a nicely done discussion on that whole push/pull thing.

Rather than focus solely on either approach in isolation, I think the best solution is to use a combination. This has a couple of advantages:

  1. Clients can potentially use whichever method is more appropriate for them.
  2. It provides significant opportunity for fine tuning.
  3. It provides a nice simple recovery model.
  4. Responsibility is balanced throughout the system keeping complexity down.
For some kinds of information, just providing "pull" could be sufficient. For others, "push" may be preferred, but as Dan (and Bill, previously) explained, having that available to be pulled as well pays off.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.