"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Sunday, December 16, 2007

The Wayback Machine: Internet Archive

James Robertson and Robert Scoble lament the loss of one's data one old sites they themselves do not own. But the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine does a reasonable job of rescuing this. (Could wayback rescue your facebook if that were to disappear?)

e.g. my old Radio Weblog is no longer around: http://radio.weblogs.com/0100812/

However the Wayback Machine can find it: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://radio.weblogs.com/0100812/

Note that the wayback machine continues to archive the "not found" page. Actually whatever service is running the old Radio is returning a 300, "multiple choices", rather than a 404, "not found".

So using the archive you can actually see when my Radio went off the air, sometime between December 7, 2003 and April 5, 2004.

It looks like the archive has not been able to retrieve at least all the longer essays, which Radio stored under a "story" URL.

Also without exhaustively searching the archive, the earliest criticism of WS-* that I have found of mine is August 25, 2002. See "Protocols, Documents, and Transactions"

1 comment:

Scobleizer said...

Unfortunately the wayback machine doesn't have many of my old blogs. I agree that it's an awesome service, though.

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.