"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 16, 2003

Whose Needs?

This article on xml.com states...

The discussion... will help readers recognize the need to coordinate a sequence of SOAP requests and responses, so that the total process looks like a business transaction.

(My underlining of the word "need".)

So whose needs are being represented here? Who actually needs this capability?

A bad habit we have is to avoid questioning the underlying assumptions that we build our concepts on. Distributed transaction protocols are not a "need". They are a means to an end. Why are we trying to recreate them in SOAP?

An alternative is compensating transactions which are also part of a proposed SOAP extension. This is a more practical alternative.

The question then becomes why do compensating transactions need to be part of a wire protocol? Whose design will fit my needs? How do you know?

Separation of concerns should be a key architectural principle. Can we keep the eager standards committees at bay long enough for clear evaluations?

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.