"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Monday, February 09, 2004

Collections, messages, and blocks... and Databases

Blaine Buxton rightly wants to delay his collection calculations, i.e. use objects as a means for lazy evaluation. This is something they're good for, but doesn't get much attention.

In fact this is just what Avi Bryant does in ROE (Relational Object Expressions). Consider that a relational database is essentially a collection, and often a large one, that you would like to operate on efficiently. And so his collection messages are simply delayed as long as needed.

I would expect some of the implementation ideas behind ROE would be applicable to Blaine's intention.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.