"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 10, 2004

Meta Stuff and WinFS

I think automated meta stuff is the least of issues to be concerned about with WinFS.

I've been watching the PDC video presentations on WinFS. Having worked in the distributed object oriented database industry for a number of years, I can foresee potential nightmares that are being portrayed as dreams in these videos.

Why not make a real database more manageable for applications and end users? As it stands WinFS seems about half baked and certainly schizophrenic.

Conceptually WinFS is near the top of appealing Longhorn concepts. Practically, WinFS comes across as a needing a good bit more reality infused to get into production.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.