"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Lisp and Trees

Gordon writes...

I don't know of a naturally tree-structured language (setting aside XSLT, which isn't a general purpose language), though maybe Prolog would qualify.

Why not Lisp as a "naturally tree-structured language"?

Lists are constructed and destructured really as trees, less frequently as flat, single level lists. From list pattern matching down to the traditional list primitives (car, cdr, caar, cadr, ..., cdddar, cddddr), Lisp and lists have been manipulating trees.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.