"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Thursday, December 23, 2004

Generics in Java too!

Ted Leung writing on generics in Java. They're just as much a pain as in C#...

As I listened to the generics discussion, my mind was thinking something like this:
Generics extends the amount of static type checking that you can do.

Static typing checking is good because you make fewer mistakes.

But wait, now you have to worry about wildcards and type bounds.

It seems that for average programmers this could be more work than writing the code itself.

So now you can make a mistake in writing the specification (type) that is supposed to keep you from making a mistake.

Doesn't sound like a bargain to me.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.