"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Exactly

A note to Sean McGrath from Steve Jensen in Sean's comment section...

Thanks for plugging Erlang: even if it doesn't end up being heavily adopted, it at least moves people in the right direction.
Exactly. I like what else Steve wrote...
We need to move from using semaphores and monitors to lock global state towards thinking of the world as partially ordered and asynchronous.
Someone asked Joe Armstrong at his Lightweight Languages 2002 presentation what synchronization mechanisms Erlang has. Joe responded, "Two. Send and receive."

Exactly.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.