"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Monday, January 24, 2005

JSON: The Fat-Free Alternative to XML

JSON is the JavaScript Object Notation for writing "smart clients" like GMail in JavaScript without bulky XML messages. JSON-RPC is a simple RPC mechanism like XML-RPC. (Via Slashdot.)

I suppose this could also be based on YAML which is more rich than JSON, yet still not as complex as XML. I've not seen a mapping, in the few minutes I've looked, from JSON to XML, such as what's been defined for YAML.

6 comments:

Sam Ruby said...

Two examples to pick from: JSON or Slashdot

Anonymous said...

How about

http://homepages.cwi.nl/~jacob/aml/cgiaml.html

Can't show examples here because indentation is significant for AML.

Christophe Grand said...

I'm in the aftermath of writing library stuff based on such technologies. more on my blog:
http://cgrand.net/blog/2005/01/second-system-syndrom.html

Anonymous said...

Personally, I'm more curious as whether either is really being used anywhere. I've poked briefly at YAML, but I've gotten the impression that the only implementations of it are spare-time hacks, about half of which are abandoned projects. JSON, at least, is basically tossing around javascript variable literals, which may result in people bothering to use the "standard".

Anonymous said...

YAML is used extensively in the Ruby community. The Syck implementation is undergoing active development and has bindings for Python, Perl and PHP.

-William
all-thing.net

Anonymous said...

It pretty much covers FREE Marketing related stuff.

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.