"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Sunday, January 02, 2005

Games

I played a few traditional games with family and friends New Year's Eve and yesterday at a friend's New Year's Day open house.

  • Rummy Royal -- We played for a couple of hours on New Year's Eve. It's been a long time since I've played this. The great thing about it is the variety of each round; you start with a chance to choose or bid on an alternate unseen hand. You can bet on an ace showing up in your hand. Then you play a poker hand by choosing five of your cards. Finally you play all your cards in a Rummy-like game. I pretty much broke even for the night.
  • Scrabble -- This was about the worst game of Scrabble I ever played. At one point I had all consonants. I foolishly traded *all* of them in, and came up with all *vowels*. At this point I had three of the four 'u' tiles and two of the four 'i' tiles. Why didn't I keep some of the consonants? The biggest problem was the play went from the middle of the board down into the lower corners and none of is had a way to build upward.
  • Sequence -- I had never played this game before even though my wife says we have it somewhere! This is a good game for adults and kids to play together. The rules are simple, the pace is moderate, and there's a good bit of chance, but opportunity for strategy to win out.
Some friends were telling me about "Speed Scrabble" but we didn't play. Next time; it sounds fun.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.