"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Sunday, February 13, 2005

Shell Scripting

Danny Ayers is looking for a shell script to keep another process alive. I'm sure I won't do better... I do as little shell scripting as possible. Shell programming never seemed aimed at humans.

Everything I've wanted to do manually in a shell script I have done more easily in Emacs or some other interactive programming environment involving Lisp or Smalltalk. For automated tasks its as easy to schedule a Lisp script as easily as bash. The trick in the past was using a small Lisp like XLisp or one that generates small apps like Gambit Scheme. That's still the trick but there are more choices.

Many Lisp implementations these days understand the #! notation to run as a script. Another option is to use scsh, the Scheme Shell.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.